Saturday, October 17, 2009

Whip It

I took the kids to see Whip It last week.  It was so awesome.  It was a great movie (made me cry in parts) and it reignited a passion in me that had been long gone.  I loved to skate when I was a kid.  Don't laugh but I used to put on the Xanadu soundtrack and skate around my backyard singing at the top of my voice.  I was 7 so its cute rather than embarrassing right?  Well thats what I tell myself anyway.  I was so proud of my skates.  They were exactly like Kira's and I had the best ones out of all my friends. And I was really good at it too. I could do all sorts of stuff on them.
My next goal was to add exercise into my life since cutting back on the Pepsi  hasn't done much for my waistline.  I was going to do the Couch to 5k program but I haven't been motivated to do it mainly because I hate to run!  Then I thought 'why don't I skate instead?' 

So I went straight out to get some skates.  I was surprised to find that nowhere sold skates.  I had to settle for a pair of rollerblades.  I drove down to the park, sat in the car while I put them on, then fell out of the car.  I was not prepared for the wheels to  move out from under me so fast.  I grazed my knee and my hand and broke my nail so far down that it bled.  But I still went off skating and had such a fun time!

I went out again today.  I hit a twig and a rock and slid through a puddle but still managed to stay upright.  But the best thing was I was sweating like a pig!  If this doesn't make me lose weight nothing will...


3 comments:

  1. i've never rollerbladed. Is it hard compared with regular skating? i used to love skating as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually own the Xanadu DVD! That is how much I love that movie. I had the record (yes, before tapes or CDs) when I was a kid. i always thought Olivia Newton John looked so beautiful on the cover with her skates and shiny blond hair and light rays streaming out from around her. We are here, IN XANADUUUUUU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im an Ellen Page fan so that's definatly on my must see list!

    I use to be big into rollerblading, I'd play roller hockey with my fellow suburbanite school friends

    ReplyDelete