Friday, July 31, 2009

Who is protecting our children?

I was reading Angela's blog this morning and she commented on an e-mail that she had received. Read it here

I am quite disgusted by it. I can't believe someone would write that to a child. Talk about a waste of webspace. Angela is doing what she loves and what makes her happy which is what everyone should be doing.

In the last week I have heard about a teenager whose body was dumped in a park about 1km from my house, a man who bashed his toddler son's head into a bunk bed, a woman who quizzed her 14 year old daughter about her sex life live on a radio show despite knowing the girl had been raped and children being held captive in a motel bathroom. Not to mention the alarming amount of suicides that have been going on. And of course, I will never forget the recent case where the mother decapitated her baby, ate his toes and some of his brain and ripped his face off.

And this is just in the last week! I'm sure there are plenty more that I haven't heard about. It makes me sick to my stomach. We are failing these children in the worst way. As a parent, I was always of the understanding we are supposed to love and support our children. I'm not sure how these parents (or other people) are getting it so so wrong.

I know that the e-mail to Angela is not anywhere near as disgusting as the atrocities I have mentioned. But we should be supporting our children, all our children, in big and small ways. Angela could be getting drunk and stoned and causing a ruckus like many other teenages. Instead she is working towards her dreams and she should be commended, not ran down by someone with way too much time on their hands. Keep it up Angela!

'Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist' - Michael Levine

So true...

No comments:

Post a Comment